Monday, November 5, 2012

Week 5: Project -based Learning, WebQuests and Rubrics.





Half of the course has been accomplished! 


The learning topics for this week have been one more inspiring than the other. I feel like I am in a discovery learning class. One week more amazing than the other. It may be because most of the learning course issues are relatively new for me. Although I have certain knowledge on technology, I have confirmed the usefulness and motivating value of Computer Assisted Language Learning in traditional language classes. This week offered outstanding learning topics related to: Project -based Learning (PBL), Alternative Assessment/Rubrics and Webquests.


Reading about project-based learning was in fact delightful. The literature points out that PBL corresponds to a type of inquiry-based approach that encourages learners to work collaboratively to achieve an authentic task based on the curriculum (“A Project-Based Learning Activity about Project-Based Learning”: http://www.sun-associates.com/lynn/pbl/pbl.html). “Project-based ESL Education: Promoting Language and Content Learning” by Yan Guo (http://www.atesl.ca/cmsms/home/newsletters/december-2007/project-based-esl-education/) also points out that PBL allows cooperative work. From my point of view, this is something that learners really enjoy since people are emotional beings and we need to share ideas, thoughts and feelings with our peers. 


Besides, “A Project-Based Learning Activity about Project-Based Learning” article shows that PBL promotes different learning styles, which could motivate all kind of learners to access knowledge without being discriminated or criticized for not achieving a particular class goal. 


This fifth week, I also learned about WebQuests. These are project-based learning activities that imply interacting through the internet or video conferencing are good examples of integrating PBL with technology in the language classroom as mentioned by Bernie Dodge in “Some Thoughts about WebQuests” (http://webquest.sdsu.edu/about_webquests.html) and “Concept to Classroom” (http://www.thirteen.org/edonline/concept2class/webquests/index.html). I really enjoyed creating a Webquest for my graduate student course despite the internet connection problems that I have been experienced the last two days. In fact, I decided to implement webquests as a technology change for my web skill project.


In the same way, this fifth week I learned that I can improve PBL tasks using alternative assessment/ rubric tools. I also learned how to create an analytic rubric on RubiStar http://rubistar.4teachers.org/ under tough conditions! No or poor internet connection! My karma, yesterday and today!!! However, I have survived and I may say that rubrics are helpful to assessing the written or oral production of the target language. There are different types of rubrics: holistic, analytic, primary trait and multitrait rubrics. I generally use analytic rubrics in my classes. They consist on a scale with categorized aspects. These aspects help teachers determine learners’ strengths and weaknesses.


We have had a lot of work this week. However, we have obtained an excellent reward once more!


Best regards!!!






2 comments:

  1. Hi Mary
    You have given a great reflection of the past week.I also agree to your last comment that te week was really rewarding.

    Best Regards
    Raj

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary,

    I'm thrilled to hear that you found the week 5 topics inspiring! I have to admit, week 5 is one of my favorites. I'm such an enthusiast for PBL and I love hearing Webskills participants share that enthusiasm.

    I think it is wonderful that you have chosen to go with webquest as your technological change. Webquest is a tool that once you are familiar with, you can really begin incorporating into projects and lessons on a frequent basis. It's so exciting when we learn about new tools like webquest and rubistar that can aid us in our teaching endeavors.

    Great week 5 reflections!

    ReplyDelete