Sunday, October 14, 2012

Week 2: Search engines, ABCD objectives and project task


This week has been characterized by new helpful increasing knowledge. In my case, knowing about new search engines besides "Google" has been more than an experience. My classmates are really smart and proactive. The have shared different links for academic searches. For example, Nino Tarkhnishvili  suggested "Glean Comparison Search" http://www.gleancomparisonsearch.org/index.php . This web browser provides lots of professional articles which are categorized according to experts' viewpoints. Besides, another useful search engine for my students was provided by Jasmina Ðordevic "10x10 / 100 Words and Pictures that Define the Time"  http://www.tenbyten.org/info.html . This web page provides 100 picture scans that represent different international updated news. Each picture is associated with a word that can be a name, and adjective or a verb. It is great for designing learning activities. I also did my own web search and I found another valuable search engine named “Lycos” http://www.lycos.com/ .  Lycos offers all kind of information including academic abstracts and complete articles on language issues that we can use in our classes. As a matter of fact, these three web searchers will be considered for my next classes and following courses since I plan to improve  my students' reading materials and searching sources.

On the other hand, two tasks were accomplished this week: ABCD objectives and project task. The former made me learn the revised version of Bloom’s Taxonomy, which includes digital learning objectives and one additional learning level (Creating Level). Based on this taxonomy, all of us learned how to design a learning objective for one of our classes taking into account the learners and instructional setting.  In fact, the article on “Writing Objectives” reminded us that the students’ behaviors and expectations are closely related to the teaching and grading processes.

Furthermore the latter, the project task, became the first step to our final project.  As I am teaching a semi-distance course for the first time, I feel eager to design new, interesting and challenging activities for my students. Then, I decided that I will develop my final project on the graduate course “Teaching language Skills”.

This course is really motivating for me! Thanks a lot!!!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Mary,

    I just want to say that the 10x10 was not my finding. I just explored it after Sankarakumar and Vinita had mentioned it. Thank you very much for pointing out the mistake I made by not giving the two the credit for suggesting it in my post on Nicenet. I guess that all the reading and excitement over new ideas, regardless who they are coming from, can make us a bit neglectful at times.

    Yet, it is great to be a part of this wonderful group.

    Jasmina

    ReplyDelete